LTC3250 High Efficiency, Low Noise, Inductorless Step-Down DC/DC Converter
The LTC3250-1.5/LTC3250-1.2 are charge pump step-down DC/DC converters that produce a 1.5V or 1.2V regulated output from a 2.7V to 5.5V input. The parts use switched capacitor fractional conversion to achieve typical efficiency two times higher than that of a linear regulator. No inductors are required.
A unique constant frequency architecture provides a low noise regulated output as well as lower input noise than conventional charge pump regulators.* High frequency operation (fOSC = 1.5MHz) simplifies filtering to further reduce conducted noise. The part also uses Burst Mode® operation to improve efficiency at light loads.
Low operating current (35µA with no load, <1µA in shutdown) and low external parts count (three small ceramic capacitors) make the LTC3250-1.5/LTC3250-1.2 ideally suited for space constrained battery powered applications. The parts are short-circuit and over-temperature protected, and are available in a low profile (1mm) 6-pin ThinSOT™ package.
- Handheld Computers
- Cellular Phones
- Digital Cameras
- Handheld Medical Instruments
Features and Benefits
- 2.7V to 5.5V Input Voltage Range
- No Inductors
- Li-Ion (3.6V) to 1.5V with 81% Efficiency
- Low Noise Constant Frequency Operation
- Output Voltages: 1.5V ±4%, 1.2V ±4%
- Output Current: 250mA
- Shutdown Disconnects Load from VIN
- Low Operating Current: IQ = 35µA
- Low Shutdown Current: ISD <1µA
- Oscillator Frequency = 1.5MHz
- Soft-Start Limits Inrush Current at Turn-On
- Short-Circuit and Overtemperature Protected